October 16, 2017
September was a month that left my heart super full. We went on an anni-moon (like a honeymoon for your anniversary!), celebrated the marriage of two incredible couples, and caught up with a lot of close friends and family while we were in NYC. It was a go-go-go kind of month but full of absolute amazingness.
My TOP 5 soul reflections from September:
1. What I’m nerding out to: “Braving the Wilderness” by Brené Brown
Brené Brown is my hero so of course I loved her new book. I feel it’s an especially important read right now in our current political climate and spiritual crises. Here are a few messages that really stood out for me:
2. What I’ve got playing on repeat: This month I’m switching it up from a song to an audiobook: “Born a Crime” by Trevor Noah (narrated by Trevor Noah).
WOW. Just wow. This audiobook left me speechless. There were tears. There were laughs. There was a lot of reflection. This is one POWERFUL story, and an important one for us all to hear about what is was like to grow up in apartheid in South Africa. I highly recommend listening to it because hearing Trevor’s voice as he share his life story adds another layer of power.
Here is one of many inspiring quotes from this remarkable man:
“But I was blessed with another trait I inherited from my mother: her ability to forget the pain in life. I remember the thing that caused the trauma, but I don’t hold on to the trauma. I never let the memory of something painful prevent me from trying something new. If you think too much about the ass-kicking your mom gave you, or the ass-kicking that life gave you, you’ll stop pushing the boundaries and breaking the rules. It’s better to take it, spend some time crying, then wake up the next day and move on. You’ll have a few bruises and they’ll remind you of what happened and that’s okay. But after a while the bruises fade, and they fade for a reason—because now it’s time to get up to some shit again.”
If you want a sneak peak of what’s in store for you in “Born a Crime,” check out this video:
3. What I’m grateful for: being able to spend two weeks traveling around Spain and France with Andrew. It was so refreshing to disconnect from technology, re-center and catch up on sleep.
4. What I learned: how to give myself permission to slow down. Usually our trips are jam-packed with activities from dawn until dusk. Now, I won’t deny that we put together a pretty aggressive Google Doc full of awesome things to do while we were in Spain and France. But, for the first time, we also built in some “down time.” Say whhhhhhat?? Coupled with the fact I got sick the moment my body felt it was safe to relax, we prioritized extra sleep, long walks to nowhere in particular and….dare I say…the spa (turns out there’s such a thing as a 2 for 1 matinee special!).
5. Magical Moment of the Month: spending our one-year wedding anniversary hiking in the Pyrenees and renewing our vows at the top of Monte Perdido.
Now it’s your turn! What were your TOP 5 soul reflections from September? Share them in the comments!
1. What are you nerding out to?
2. What song do you have playing on repeat?
3. What are you grateful for?
4. What did you learn?
5. What was your Magical Moment of the Month?